09 May Roofing Scammers: What To Look For
Each year thousands of homeowners are victims of roofing scammers. Many homeowners are left with holes in their pockets and poor work due to the presence of scammers who want to profit from their customers.
What’s are roofing scammers?
Roofing scammers are people or companies that try to profit from homeowners with tight budgets by selling services and goods that aren’t needed. These con-artists usually target areas with senior citizens or homeowners who are new to the area. These companies are particularly interested in areas that are prone to hail and storm damage. These companies have the ability to make homeowners feel unsafe and in danger. They also use low-quality materials and high-priced work, which can leave you wondering what went wrong during the transaction.
How can I tell if I’m being conned?
You can identify legitimate roofing companies by looking for certain signs and situations. Your intuition will help you determine whether or not you are working with a trustworthy company. If you don’t feel that the situation is legitimate, refuse to sign any contract.
- Storm chasers are to be avoided. These storm chasers are looking for areas that have been severely damaged by recent storms. They’ll likely offer to inspect the area for free, and then follow up with detailed reports on damage and urgent repairs. They will often ask for a large down payment in order to secure the work. Then you might be surprised if they come back. If you don’t feel comfortable following them, you can ask for proof of certification and photos of the roof. They’ll be more likely to take their money elsewhere once they realize you’re not being scammed.
- Low starting bids are not to be trusted. To get you started, these contractors may offer a lower starting bid than any other local contractor. However, you might find yourself in unforeseen situations or needing additional materials mid-project. A reputable contractor will not charge you additional fees to continue the work. Keep moving and find a roofing company that has a good reputation in your area.
- Avoid assignment of benefits agreements. These scammers not only target you but also your insurance company. A contract for assignment of benefits transfers the responsibility of making homeowner’s insurance claims to a third party, such as a roofing contractor. This is what it means for you: Your insurance policy will be available to the roofer. Your roofer will be the only contact point for your insurance company regarding your claim. Your claim will be decided by the roofer. Your insurer will not be informed or consented to by the roofer. Your roofer may even endorse checks for you.
Do not deal with roofing companies that insist on contacting your insurance company directly. These scammers should be made aware and reported if they try to do business in your region.
- High-pressure sales tactics are to be avoided. Many scammers will try to impose legally binding contracts on a neighborhood using high-pressure sales tactics. These companies will try to sell you a contract by offering specials that are “today only”, “for a limited period” or “discounted while they’re standing”. Do not fall for the trap. Instead, insist on waiting, doing your research, and saying no immediately. You are the only one in control of the situation. If you don’t sign the dotted line, they will not be able to do anything for you or your house.
Choose KCG Roofing, The Experts
KCG Roofing has the experience and expertise to replace or repair your roof with quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. We have been family-owned and operated for over 40 years.
We service a multitude of areas in West Central Florida including:
- Anna Maria Island,
- Plant City,
- Apollo Beach,
- Brandon, and Seffner,
- Longboat Key,
- North Port,
- Port Charlotte,
- Punta Gorda,
- Sun City Center,
- Tampa Bay,
- Lake Whales, and all points in between!
All our roofs are backed by a 15-year leak-free guarantee, the highest in the industry. Our Owens Corning shingle roofs are backed by a 50-Year Platinum Warranty that includes materials and labor. While most of our business is residential, we also handle commercial roofing projects. Check out our 5-star reviews and be sure to contact us today for your free quote!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.